Logo Background
Blue Theme Green Theme Pink Theme Black Theme Red Theme

» treatment for snake bite

  • First aid for Snake bite
    By Health Blog on August 24, 2009 | 10 Comments10 Comments  Comments

    Snake bite is a common health problem for the people who live villages as most of the snakes live in the forests and fields where they can find their food very easily. Snake bite is very dangerous and leads to death if the anti-poison for that snake bite is not given in time. Some of the snake bites are not dangerous. The kind of snakes differs from different places. In most of the Asian countries, cobra is a common snake which is very poisonous and in the American and Europe countries Russels viper is the poisonous snake that is predominant. We should not depend upon the fang marks that occur when a snake bites for deciding whether the snake is poisonous or not because the fang marks may not be clear always and this may waste our valuable time for our life. So to detect the signs of poisonous snake bite follow these signs:

    For common cobra or krait:

    • Pain at the site of bite and we may get pain in the abdomen as well as diarrhea.
    • We may get any swelling.
    • Vomiting and foam may come out of mouth.
    • Blood pressure may fall and comes to very low.
    • Muscles weaken such as the muscle around the eyes and may develop a squint. The person may not be able to swallow anything.
    • Cough, respiratory paralysis may occur and lead to death after some time.

    For Russels viper and saw-scaled viper:

    • Pain may occur very severely and last for many days.
    • Swellings start immediately.
    • Vomiting, low blood pressure and abnormal bleeding from any site may occur.
    • Blister formation around the site and spreading blister suggest a large dose of venom.
    • Local tissues may smell very offensive or awful smell.


    How to treat?

    1. Don’t disturb the bitten part because the poison may spread very easily and contact for the immediate medical help for anti-poison.
    2. Wrap the bitten area with some elastic so that the blood will not flow from the bitten area to other parts of the body. Tie the elastic very tightly as much as possible and it should stop the pulse.
    3. Keep the bitten part above, so that the blood flow will be hindered.
    4. Put on the splint to prevent from moving.
    5. Take him to the nearest hospital and give him the medicine.
    6. Give acetaminophen for pain. Don’t give aspirin. If possible give tetanus injection. If any pus occurs around the bite then give penicillin.
    7. Keep ice on the bite to reduce the pain. Try to crush the ice around the bitten area by wrapping over it.

    Popularity: 73% [?]